Thursday, September 11, 2008

Motherhood 101

When I think about being a mom and what it means to me it is hard to put into words.
There is truly no greater joy for me than being a mom.
It's the best job I have ever had, it's also the hardest and most rewarding.

I was just talking to my husband the other night about how I can't hardly remember life before we had children. I think I had a life before them but it's hard to remember.

Lately my brother and his girlfriend have been talking about marriage and babies and with that he has been calling and asking me LOTS of questions about what it is like to have children and what it is like to be a parent. So this a great thing for me to write about.

I was tagged by my new blog friend from Having a ball to blog about some lessons from motherhood, so thanks for asking me to write about this I'm not the greatest writer in the world but I will give it a spin.

Lessons I've Learned:

Nobody's perfect, It's ok to mess up. Parenting is difficult and no matter how many books you read, it can't totally prepare you for being a parent.

Each child is different and may need different kinds of discipline. You might have a very quite child that all you have to do is look at them and they will do what you ask or you may have a very strong willed child that needs much more to get them to listen.

Use a routine, kids thrive on it and do best if they know what to expect.

Two things you have to have in your house when you come home from the hospital are Tylenol and Gas Drops! I wish someone would have told me that when I was a new parent.

Remember God is in control of the situation. Each child is a gift from him and we are here to help them along the path of life. Cherish the time you have with them because to fast the grow up and will be gone.

Forget about sleep..once you have children you either get woke up at all hours of the night because they are little or they are teenagers and you are worried about what they are doing.

Children learn from example. The things you say and do will be a mirror into their behavior.

At the end of the day remember that they are God's children and we are here to guide and protect them, to teach them right from wrong and LOVE them, but we have to learn to let them make their own choices right or wrong and remember God is in control. No matter how hard it is for us. I work on that everyday.

I definitely don't claim to know everything about being a parent, I am learning everyday from my mom, my friends and my children...it is always a work in progress. The best work I have ever done. I love my job!

Now I am tagging 3 of my blogger friends to say a few words about Lessons they have learned.

Cindy a sweet  friend. at Kirkpatrick Family
Christy who home schools her children at momof2girlygirlz.
Neabear a new blog friend  at neabear

What to do: share with us and your readers a lesson that you learned from your own mom, a special mom in your life, or while raising your own children. There’s no right or wrong answer ….just lessons that each of us can learn and implement with our own children. It can be very simple!!! Link your post back to this blog, leave a comment below so we can visit and learn from you, and then tag 2-3 other moms to participate. (if you are not up to this right now, just let me know and I will pass it on to someone else!)

5 comments:

  1. Great job Michelle!! Very nicely done.

    I think you are an awesome mom. I wish I could learn to be more laid back like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo good list!! Love the reminders that God is in control & your kids copy what they see : )
    Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure I will do a post about parenting. I will give it some thought. I must have tons of stuff since my kids are grown and I am a long distance grandma now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed reading this!! thank you for your sweet
    note on my blog. steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle! I finally blogged about motherhood today! Thanks for tagging me!

    http://momof2girlygirlz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. Please, pretty please. :)