Monday, January 5, 2009

Not your routine day.

Today I thought it would just be a routine day. I got up and got the kids off to school which was very exciting after having them home for two weeks. I did some laundry and caught up on some email.

I talked to one of my friends Dawn, her daughter has been sick with a stomach bug. She was going to call in a prescription for some medication. I offered to run by the store and get it and pick up some lunch.
Little did I know my 5 minute trip to the store would take and hour!!! As I got out of the car I was talking on the phone "obviously I can't do two things at once", and threw my keys in my purse, unlocked the backdoor, shut my door and went to get Ty out. But wait, the door was locked and so was the front door! I had accidental locked the door with my keys and purse inside! Meanwhile Ty is still strapped in the back seat. Great...what do I do now?!!! Luckily I was still holding my cell phone so I tried calling Dawn. She said call 911 they will send someone over to open up the car. Sounded good to me. In less than 5 minutes a policeman was there with his magic tools to get me out. He said "this won't take but 2 minutes", I was relieved since I wasn't even wearing a coat and I was waving to Ty and trying to entertain him while he watched the nice policeman open the door. Unfortunately for me I guess my car has some heavy duty security system on it so that everytime he would unlock the door the alarm would go off. There was no getting in.


Mean while I had all kinds of new friend there to see how it was going or tell me their favorite story of locking their keys in their car. Actually a friend of mine showed up, getting ready to do her shopping and offered me her coat and gloves so wouldn't freeze to death.


We proceeded to stand there for about 40 min. Then it occurred to me that my dad might be home from work. He works really strange hours. So you never know if he is home or not. I called and sure enough he was there.

Lucky for me all the planets aligned and he was able to get in my house and get a spare key.

Long story short, after almost an hour outside I was able to get in my car. I got my friends coat back to her, got Dawn's prescription and lunch! Ty even clapped when we got the door open. It was truly a miracle that he never one time cried.

So, I thought it would be another routine day, but I had a little excitement after all.

19 comments:

  1. My two year old would of freaked out of wait I would of freaked out. LOL -- So sorry you had a bad day. I made a button to put on my site -- if you look on the right side at the bottom you will see it.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that happened and after all that your attitude seems so positive. I would have been pleasant.. but freezing and miserable. Glad things turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    What a crazy story! Sounds like you kept your cool and your positive attitude throughout. I'm glad your son thought it was a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my. That is always one of my biggest fears! I am so glad that Ty took it so well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you are one cool chick under pressure I would have freaked if I locked my purse in the car....I kid I kid if my beans were younger I woulda freaked over that too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you seem to take this in stride... and your awesome son did too! There is only one thing I hate worse than being cold and that is being away from my kids! And you had both happen in one! Glad it all worked out. Dads are great to save the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I haven't locked myself out of the car (yet) but I did once lock myself out of the house (backyard)... in my very short nightshirt... on the phone with a friend... while Michael (18 mos old) was running around inside and completely incapable of opening the door. :)
    I know the stress but at least I was not freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still just laughing at Ty not being bugged by it at all. It's just like him to clap when they got it open. He's probably thinking, "you dummies!" LOL!

    Thank you so much for picking up our RX and bringing me lunch even though it's because of THAT reason you locked Ty in the car! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a big boy to not freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good friend you are for offering to pick up another's prescription. I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it today but I have to tell you that your post made me laugh: amidst all the chaos and the freezing cold, you STILL remembered to take photos with your camera : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only done that one time, but lucky for me, no ickle ones were in the car.
    Nice of you to pick up Cam's medicine and as you learned no good deed goes unpunished - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you believe I've never done that? And now I can't, 'cause if I leave my keys inside the car (I don't use an actual key, but one of those fob things) they doors won't lock! Go and get you a Mazda CX-9!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  13. A day to remember! (Or does it happen often?) :-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess you'll never complain about a "normal" day again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you can look back and laugh since everything finally turned out okay. I have locked keys in car several times. Also locked myself out of the house before on my way to work. When the kids were young, I had opened the house got one kid into the house, then came back out to get the second one, put my keys down on the front seat to get the second one out of her carseat then locked and shut the door. I realized as I was shutting the door the keys were still in there. Fortunately, I had both kids out and the house open. So I was not stuck. But I did call my hubby to tell him the keys were in the car and could he please get them out when he got home. He was working retail and worked the closing shift that day, getting him home late.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok can I tell you I have done this more than once?! I've done it w/the engine running twice. Aaahhh! I never thought to call 911?! I called a locksmith each time. I have one of those code lock things on my door & still don't use it.
    I need to memorize the code ; )
    Happy to hear Ty was ok & didn't cry. My babies didn't cry either. They just kept laughing at mommy standing there talking into the window?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad everything turned out okay. And, your little pictures cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way you are so positive in your outlook in life!
    Really funny story...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't imagine what you must have been feeling while waiting for the situation to resolve itself. So glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. Please, pretty please. :)